- Full name:
- Steven Patrick Morrissey
- May 22, 1959 - Manchester, England in Davyhulme Park
- Eye color:
- ['Morrissey - In His Own Words' November 1984 - "Without glasses
or contact lenses, I'm paralyzed. Being immersed in books for years and years,
your eyes deteriorate. By the time I was 14, I couldn't see. I've acquired
contact lenses in the past few months, they've been a strange rebirth for me.
Now I think everybody should wear them, whether they need them or
- Hair color:
- Dark brown, nearly black
- Just short of 6' (so I'm told)
- (1977) a clerk for Inland Revenue
- (Nov., 1977) co-songwriter for The Nosebleeds
- (1978) a record store in Manchester
- (1980) a hospital porter
- (1983-1987) singer and songwriter for The Smiths
- (1987-present) solo singer and songwriter
- Best friend:
- Linder Sterling (Linda Mulvey)
- Schools attended:
- St.Mary's Secondary Modern Stretford, Manchester
- St.Wilfrid's Junior School Hulme, Manchester
- Favorite subjects:
- English and sports (track)
- Cruelest teacher:
- Secondary school headmaster, Mr.Morgan
- Favorite hat:
- Have you ever been camping in the great outdoors?
- Yes, many times. As an adolescent I was often discovered under
- Most memorable Christmas:
- Christmas poses the biggest threat to the family fabric. The best
we can hope for from this dull period is that it passes swiftly.
- What nasty habits would you like to change?
- I'm far too generous.
- Did you ever have long hair?
- Long hair is an unpardonable offense which should be punishable by
- Do you own a suit?
- Do you own a leather jacket?
- What color are your bedroom walls?
- What hangs on them?
- A myriad of Morrissey portraits, what else?
- What is your beverage order?
- Sugarless tea
- Favorite vegetarian recipe:
- Vegetarian cheese
- Exercise routine:
- Seizing the mail from the postman.
- Athletic endeavor:
- Worst bout of stage fright:
- I've never experienced stage fright.
- Most irrational fear:
- How would you spend a rainy day?
- Describe your first kiss:
- Duty-bound and tiresome.
- Do you own a T.V. set?
- My television set is my kidney machine.
- Preferred viewing:
- Pre-70's British films.
- If you organized a Band-aid type event, what cause would you
- The biggest lie I ever told is...
- ...still working to good effect, so...
- Two cats - Tibby (23 human years old) and Noname (8 years
- [This was from 1986, so I'm not so sure that these kitties are still
- Favorite Wham! song:
- "I'm A Hog For You, Baby"
- Most exotic illness you've survived:
- An ugly neck operation involving vile tubes.
- Are you still celibate?
- Yes. Boring, isn't it?
- [Again, this was from 1986, so... :)]
- What's the first thing you do when you wake up in the morning?
- Wish I hadn't
- What was the first gig you went to?
- T.Rex, Belle Vue, Manchester, July 1972
- Which song do you wish you had written?
- Lonliness Remembers What Happiness Forgets
- What's the best advice you've ever received?
- "Just watch those f**king flowers," Paul Weller, 1983
- What is your most treasured material possession?
- A black railway signalman's cap
- Who was the last person you slept with?
- Me lodger
- What do you think of Bob Dylan?
- He would've had much more fun if he'd been in the New York
- When did you last cry and why?
- Death of Michael R.
- What characteristics do you think you've inherited from your
- Irish defiance, Northern humility, implacable benevolence, not bad
- What is the biggest myth about fame?
- That somebody somewhere wants to sleep with you.
- What are you like when you're drunk?
- I begin to feel almost normal.
- Who would you have play you in a film?
- Richard Burton (as he is now)
- Pick five words that describe yourself.
- Loving, lovable, lovely, lovelorn, loveless.
- Is there one piece of criticism that sticks out in your mind?
- "Morrissey conveys all the worst aspects of bestiality fused with
homosexuality." Santa Monica Reporter, 1992. As if simply conveying BASIC
bestiality couldn't satisfy me - but no, I had to plunge for the very WORST
ASPECTS! (I later wondered how this writer might describe the BEST aspects of
- Do you believe in God?
- I try to.
- What is your most unpleasant characteristic?
- Unlimited self-sabotage, morbid self-revelation, deadly accurate
intuition, barriers of reserve
- What is your greatest fear?
- That this is as good as life gets.
- What ambitions do you still have to fulfill?
- I'd like to have a sex life, if possible.
- Are you afraid of failure?
- My space in the dustbin of history somehow seems assured.
- What do you never leave home without?
- I never leave home.
- Who is your best male friend and your best female friend?
- Well, I wonder.
- Who would you most like to meet?
- Dirk Bogarde.
- What music would you have played at your funeral?
- John Betjeman reciting "A Child Ill"
- When you look in the mirror, do you like what you see?
- A pleasure yet to come.
- Do you have anything to declare?
- They can kill me, but they can't stop me...and so forth.
**If you have any questions about Morrissey or his songs, e-mail me and
I'll do my best to answer them!